Be sure to stop in each Wednesday for the next episode's notes...I look forward to your visit!

ALIAS SMITH AND JONES EPISODE NOTES



EPISODE NOTES SYMBOL KEY

** a favorite episode

® worth rewinding and checking out again

§ worth stopping and staring awhile

[: source








7/29/08

NIGHT OF THE RED DOG

  • My, my. Another delicious walking scene as Heyes and the Kid start toward the old man who collapses in the street. Heyes (or is it Peter) just has the most appealing swagger to his step…and I notice right off the bat those buff jeans are fitting rather nicely in this episode. ®

  • It occurs to me I may need to make a separate list of great scenes of Heyes walking. And one of his best smiles. And maybe one of great couple’s moments. Hmmmm….I smell a project in the works.
  • Ok, what’s up with the Kid’s mustache? He hasn’t had it since Heyes suggested he shave it off at the end of The Posse That Wouldn’t Quit, and now, here it is again…It seems to me like this show had no one hired to watch for continuity at all, it is so haphazardly put together. But do we allow that to sway us out of favor with the show or our boys? No way!
  • Peter’s nor’eastern accent is loud and clear in the entire scene on the street. I absolutely love when I hear it, with its distinctive ow’s; “either that or he’s nailed dowwn” sounds so especially sweet coming from him…
  • I can’t help but chuckle as first our boys, and then young Billy try to lift the old-timer up off the street. Really good comic interpretation by all involved, but especially good when Billy tries on his own to hoist the old man up and crumples down on top of him.
  • I can tell already, every action and every word out of the mouth of this actor playing Billy is going to be overblown and super-exaggerated. As he helps carry the old timer to the undertaker’s establishment, he contorts his legs almost as if he is skiing, looking freakish and silly, especially in conjunction with the other three actors who are playing it much more subtly. Hamming it up may work and it may not. I tend to think it will wear on me pretty quickly, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
  • Just a persnickety thought here, but if it took four strong men to carry the old man into the undertaker’s establishment, and at great effort at that—wouldn’t it stand to reason that the cheap cot meant to hold maybe 175 pounds might collapse under the weight of the loaded down miner the men deposit on it?
  • That black ‘medical bag’ the doctor carries in with him looks strangely like my elementary school clarinet case. If he opens it and I see it is lined with red velvet, well, all I can say is he better play us an Acker Bilk tune while the closing credits roll.
  • Ben has a nice voice. When he whispers to the old man about why they brought him into an undertaking parlor, his words are soothing and gentle to the ear.

  • Heyes seems particularly sardonic in this episode. “Which of you gentlemen is the patient?” asks the doctor, and Heyes replies, with a voice dripping with sarcasm, “The one laying down with his eyes closed, Doctor.” And after he corrects the undertaker, who begins pulling on the old man’s right boot, with “the left one…” and a pointed look of disdain, I get the feeling that Heyes feels he is in the midst of a room full of idiots. He is probably right.

  • I like the understated way Heyes reacts to the smelliness of the old miner’s boot. It is an excellent example of Peter’s temperate way of expressing things… how perfectly it works to get a thought across to us without slapping us in the face with it. It is a human reaction, one you or I might have, and it actually makes me wonder if the boot really did stink, especially since there is nothing in the script about it. That’s the thing with Peter's acting—we are never fully positive it is acting. Just brilliant.

  • A great moment as everyone removes his hat in respect as the old man passes away…to sleep that is! When he lets out a good loud snore, they all look slightly sheepish as they replace the hats on their heads.

  • The doctor did just the opposite of everyone else, however. When they removed their hats, his remained untouched, and when it became obvious the old man wasn’t dead, it was only then that the good doctor removed his hat—and certainly not in a reverent way. This guy is either a beat off the drum roll, or an indifferent, uncaring cad. Hmmmm…
  • I have never understood the doctor saying the undertaker isn’t included in the “deathbed gift”. What possible reason would he have for thinking that? It feels to me as if there is something missing in this scene, like I am missing the joke. The scene is played just exactly as it is written in the script, with no preface or explanation, so I don’t know where that thought is coming from at all.
  • The scene where all the men join together on the rocks, looking out at the beautiful scenery always stirs my heart to think of Peter and how deeply he loved nature. I hope, while shooting scenes such as this in such idyllic, lush environs, he was able to enjoy some of those moments if only just for a fleeting lightening of his heart. *stifled tear*
  • Jack Kelly's body surprises me. It seems too big for his head. His face, when seen on camera alone, doesn’t seem like it belongs on such a large man. He doesn’t look weird or anything, it just always seems to surprise me when I see the body his head is on!
  • Ok, the fly buzzing around Heyes bugs me. I like that this show is not so slick that it erases everything putting a human, fallible slant on it, but this is the first—but not last—time we get the audio effect of a fly buzzing close to Peter’s mic and we see him shoo the fly away. His reaction was natural, of course, but couldn’t the editors have at least toned down the loudness of the fly? I admit, it is not as loud or annoying as the fly in Peter’s final episode—The Men That Corrupted Hadleyburg—but it is annoying nonetheless.

  • More of Heyes’ sarcastic wit when he asks the Doc if he wants to draw first to see who draws first. He is being a real smart ass with these people, and I admit, I like it.
  • I love when Heyes gets really excited about something and shows boyish exuberance…he lets loose with clapping hands, kicking feet, giggles or hoots. His joy permeates his entire body and there seems to be no holding it back. It is just such a pleasing aspect of his character. It always makes me smile. It is also one of those sights that brings a child to mind; who I imagine little Hannibal to be, there with Kid; bareback and wild, playing, and dirty and always leading the show. What a boy he must have been.

  • Ugh. I don’t know whose creepy über-blonde, fuzzy, almost albino arm that is being used in the close-up of swirling the pan of gold dust, but it is not one of our boys, I guarantee you. Did the producers not think we would notice it is an alien arm and a naked shoulder? Are we really supposed to believe it belongs to one of our heroes?
  • As Heyes and Kid discuss how much dust they have accumulated, and get ready to go hide it, I have only one thought. And I apologize for it in advance. It is simply this: Darlin’ please, may I climb up into that amazing left dimple and live there awhile? *sigh* ®§§
  • I love how when Billy hits a very bad note on his harmonica and Heyes turns and looks disapprovingly at him, the boy doesn’t react in any way other than to pound his harmonica in his hand as if a buildup of spit had anything to do with the misplayed key. Very cute!

  • All that bluster, and the worst Clarence can come up with to call the doctor is ninny?

  • Rory Calhoun is an interesting looking man, although I wouldn’t go as far as to say he is attractive. The jet black, disheveled hair and salt and pepper sideburns are intriguing. But I have no clue whether the man can act. He has barely said a word. Seems like a monumental waste of someone who was a pretty big talent in those days.
  • Wow. Now don’t misunderstand me. I will never, ever switch sides. I am a Peter girl and will undoubtedly utter his name as I take my last breath. But, oh, my…the mustached Ben does look mighty fine in that blue shirt, with his hair all bedraggled and his face flushed from the sun or maybe frustration at losing their gold to a thief. I’d say, for me, this is the most handsome he has looked (and because I can see the future) or will look in the entire series.

  • Someone involved with this show (I am guessing Roy Huggins, only because I blame him—and thank him—for everything) is addicted to characters with weird and wildly annoying laughs. This trend first reared its ugly head in “The McCreedy Bust” when the banker laughed like a nut case at every marginally amusing moment in his wake. Then in “Exit from Wickenburg” the bartender laughed like a lunatic when Heyes and Kid told him about being beaten up by Al Gorman. (I know there are more…it will be another list project for me, I fear.) And now, old Clarence has this very strange cackle as Kid begins getting dressed and talking about leaving…
  • I wonder how Peter manages to make his eyes look puffy and a bit glassy in scenes where he is just waking up. That has to be more than acting. Amazing. And seriously, could he look any cuter with his tousled bed hair and look of sleepy confusion? *sigh*
  • Well, I do enjoy seeing a man step into his pants and maneuver himself into them. It is fun to watch the red union suit Kid is wearing disappear into his day’s outfit. Even better, but only because of my undying infatuation with him, to see Heyes run to help shut the door against the snow drift with only one long-john covered leg in his pants…I do so enjoy these moments of fully covered ‘near undress’!

  • Couple’s moment alert!! A very, very lovely little subtlety, as Heyes leans his chin against Kid’s shoulder as they stand at the door and hear from Clarence between bursts of maniacal laughter that everyone missed their chance to leave the camp before the weather trapped them there for the winter.
  • Hey! Rory Calhoun finally speaks…and you know what? I am disappointed! Nothin’ special…
  • Heyes just can’t seem to help himself when it comes to telling people why they are losing at poker. “You’re just overplaying that two pair, Doc.” Personally, if I were playing with him, I’d probably punch him square in his gorgeous nose. And then kiss it and make it better, of course.
  • My. What’s up with the decidedly feminine coif and equally womanly (and quite ugly) coat on the undertaker? I gotta say, that’s creeping me out a bit. Of course, these men have been sequestered together for quite some time…oh, eww, I really don't want to go there….
  • Ben does a good job at fainting. There is no acting visible. And up jumps Heyes and runs to his fallen friend. His voice as he says “Hey, hey…what’s wrong with you?” and pats Kid’s face amazes me. Here is a nurturing, loving man filled with concern for his partner. A real, true, and spectacular couple’s moment. I absolutely treasure this moment. ®®
  • OH, how I would dearly love to be Kid’s right forearm and hand in this scene. ® and you will know what I mean. *girlish giggle* ®§
  • Good lord. That is one unfortunate butt shot of Billy as he helps pick up the Kid to move him to the store room. I guess it ain’t about butts, it’s about the man. And boy, what a poorly positioned scene. Everyone knows Ben should have fallen with his head toward the viewer, and Peter should have been at this end when they pick him up...
  • Further defining his nurturing side, Heyes lays Kid down and tries to make him comfortable. I hear him say, “Aw…” and I think he touches Kid’s face, but we can’t see for sure from our angle. And then he begins covering Kid with blankets, making sure his legs are together and the blankets are tucked in around his feet. Just lovely. He is a natural nurturer, it seems to me, and he goes by instinct and love. He is much more demonstrative than Kid, although Kid does often gaze at Heyes with admiration and respect. I think both boys would be lost without the other. Heyes takes care of Kid in the emotional sense, and Kid looks up to Heyes and protects him in the physical sense. A perfect match, these two.
  • Ok, is it evil of me to notice Heyes’ ass as he lays Kid down and begins to cover him with blankets? I mean I am concerned about Kid and all, but sweet jesus, those jeans fit Heyes like skin in that position…somebody turn on a fan…®§§
  • A favorite moment for me is when the Doc is listening to Kid’s heart and Heyes decides he wants to listen too, and rips the stethoscope out of Doc’s ears. From experience, I am telling you…that hurt! It is Heyes at his arrogant finest, all little boy “gimme” and impatient. I have to say, being a bit of a germaphobe, the idea of someone putting my stethoscope in his ears without sanitizing it with alcohol first would put me over the top, and I assure you, I would not use it again until I had thoroughly cleaned it. But that’s just me. I guess in the 1880s, Old West health care workers weren’t as careful with their “rubber ear tubes”!!
  • Heyes is always thinking. He listens to Doc’s heart to compare it with Kid’s and discovers that the Doc’s heart beats faster whenever he is apparently lying. It only takes him a moment or two to put two and two together. No doubt this man has a quick and very agile mind. And let me tell you, in my opinion, brains can be as sexy as looks any day.
  • When Heyes checks in on Kid in the store room, he speaks to him softly and checks his forehead with his hand. I wonder if Heyes has memories of himself as a little boy, being nurtured by his mother. I don’t think he has had much call as an adult outlaw to care for a sick friend in this way. It touches me. I would like to know more of a back story for our two boys…I may just have to write one that satisfies my perspective of the boys that developed into these caring, complex men…
  • When he looks at Kid in this scene, I recognize the look on Heyes’ face. It is the same look he had when he was just about to lean in and kiss Julia in The Man Who Murdered Himself. Look closely. It is an intense and sensual look…it is Heyes at his most beautiful. And now it is a look he is giving the only person on earth he can fully trust and care about.
  • I love the comedy aspect of Doc losing every hand in Montana Red Dog. Each time, he gets more animated and aggravated as he loses and bets the size of the pot. The actor—Jack Kelly—does an excellent job of making us feel his frustration and yet not like him enough to hope he gets himself out of trouble.
  • I smile every time it is Ralph the undertaker’s turn to deal. The facial expressions he uses as he plays a card for the Doc and then watches his face for a reaction, are just brilliant.
  • How fun that Kid was the one who won the big hand to close out the game. We have been shown over and over that Heyes has the skill at poker to pull off such a feat, but to see that Kid does also, especially in a game where it is so important to know and recall what cards have been played, is a wonderful example of his intelligence. I like that the powers-that-be kept us on our toes this way…most of us expecting the glory to go to Heyes and having a right curve thrown at us in the final play. Beautiful.
  • I don't quite understand why the first choice when asking Jason to stay indoors is to pull a gun on him. I mean, isn’t that just a bit of overkill? How ‘bout just asking him first and seeing where that takes you, Kid?
  • “I’d probably do the same thing myself, I was packing all that gold outta here.” and an animated nod from Billy. Ugh. Yep, his theatrics have worn thin.
  • WHAT IN HOLY HELL IS RORY CALHOUN WEARING?? Is that a freakin’ brown silk jumpsuit??
  • I am proud of Heyes’ intelligent mind as he checks everyone with his own idea of a lie detector. He goes to each person and listens carefully to each heart for any discernable difference as they each profess their innocence. But Heyes is a very astute poker player…he should be very aware of his tells. He pats each person whose heartbeat remained calm on the back, but when he notices a change in Jason’s rhythm, he listens longer than he had to anyone else, and he does not pat him on the back before he goes to the next person. He might as well have worn a giant “Jason’s heart says HE did it” sign around his neck. I think his skill as a poker player would have made him acutely aware of his need to react exactly the same to each examination. Don’t give up your tells, Heyes…you know better.
  • I just don’t get the whole silliness about Heyes checking Kid’s heartbeat…and then Kid getting irritated and checking Heyes’. And Ben’s way of speaking in this scene really grates on me. Overacting…a crime he shouldn’t get amnesty for.
  • I very much like Heyes’ interaction with the amply busted saloon girl/spy, Florence. It tickles me that he carefully avoids blatantly looking at her cleavage. I can almost hear him telling himself…”don’t look down! Look at her eyes…” He likes women, and he likes looking at women. And I like to see it.
  • The dark blue shirt, and the cream one also, is not the most flattering cut on Peter. I think he has put on some weight, which makes his buff jeans look even better than usual on him, but the shirt fits a little wrong and accentuates a bit of thickness around his belly. I am not complaining, mind you…I would have just put him in a different shirt had I been the wardrobe girl…oh, god, how I would have loved to be the wardrobe girl…
  • And on that note, I am struck by the fact that I would give anything if Peter had kept that few extra pounds on him and we wouldn’t soon be watching his physical deterioration. Damn it, sad and harsh reality has snuck in again. *mournful sigh*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOTRD is one of my favourite episodes and I never tire of watching it. I found your comments on it Cherie very interesting but have to say I love the dark blue and cream shirt. Mind you we all know that dear Peter would look beautiful in no shirt! Sigh!

Anonymous said...

I wish there was a vidcap of Kid getting into his pants! I also wish you'd included comments about the final scenes where Heyes and Kid are in San Francisco and then are looking at the future C.B. hospital wing. Otherwise, enjoyed your take on the episode.

Anonymous said...

I was entranced, reading your blog! Thanks so much for sharing.

Liz, England

Anonymous said...

Oh Cherie !!
I just LOVE your comments :
Sweet Jesus !
Somebody turn on a fan !!

I couldn't have said it better myself....geesh!
I find myself gasping for air, as I look at Pete's/Heyes' sexy ass !!
Somebody get me a fan.....

<3 Leila <3